NIAAA Sponsors AACAP Symposium and Residents in Alcohol Research
The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA) recently sponsored a symposium on Alcohol and Teens Research during the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry annual meeting in San Francisco. According to Howard Moss, NIAAA Associate Director for Clinical and Translational Research, the symposium shared important new research that has implications for practitioners.
The AACAP symposium included:
- Placing Adolescent Drinking in a Developmental Context: Aaron White, Ph.D., National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, Bethesda, MD
- Adolescent Substance Use Disorders and the Frontoparietal Network: Duncan Clark, M.D., Ph.D., University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
- Voluntary Brief Intervention for Adolescent Alcohol Problems: Sandra Brown, Ph.D., University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA
- Psychiatric Comorbidities: New Thoughts from an Old Problem: Howard Moss, M.D., National Institutes of Health and NIAAA, Bethesda, MD
- Alcohol Screening and Brief Intervention in Clinical Practice Settings: The New NIAAA Guide: Sharon Levy, M.D., M.P.H., Children's Hospital Boston, Boston, MA
Residents in Alcohol Research
NIAAA also provided funding through a competitive process for 10 child and adolescent psychiatry practitioners to attend the annual meeting and the symposium. As part of the Institute’s educational outreach program for residents in alcohol research, the practitioners are exposed to the field of child and adolescent psychiatry, access to mentors, and various networking opportunities.
The following were the award recipients:
Jonathan Avery, M.D., Weill Cornell Medical College, Ithaca, NY
Jatinder Chawla, M.D., Hofstra North Shore–Long Island Jewish School of Medicine, Long Island, NY
Shannon Gulliver, M.D., M.Phil., New York Presbyterian Hospital, New York, NY
Christopher Hammond, M.D., Yale Child Study Center, New Haven, CT
Andrew Keyes, M.D., M.S., University of California, San Diego, San Diego, CA
Shivana Naidoo, M.D., State University of New York Downstate–University Hospital of Brooklyn, Brooklyn, NY
Jennifer Prins, M.D., M.P.H., Western Psychiatric Institute & Clinic, Pittsburgh, PA
Jared Tristan Ritter, M.D., University of Hawaii, Honolulu, HI
Garrett Matthew Sparks, M.D., M.S., Western Psychiatric Institute & Clinic, Pittsburgh, PA
Steven Szabo, M.D., Ph.D., Duke University, Durham, NC
AACAP managed the competitive process and received 17 very competitive applications. According to AACAP, it was extremely difficult for the selection committee to make their decisions on 10 awardees.