CLINICIAN SUPPORT MATERIALS
When making referrals, involve your patient in the decisions and schedule a referral appointment while he or she is in your office.
Finding evaluation and treatment options
- For patients with insurance, contact a behavioral health case manager at the insurance company for a referral.
- For patients who are uninsured or underinsured, contact your local health department about addiction services.
- For patients who are employed, ask whether they have access to an Employee Assistance Program with addiction counseling.
- To locate treatment options in your area:
- Call local hospitals to see which ones offer addiction services.
- Call the National Drug and Alcohol Treatment Referral Routing Service (1-800-662-HELP) or visit the Substance Abuse Facility Treatment Locator Web site at http://findtreatment.samhsa.gov.
Finding support groups
Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) offers free, widely available groups of volunteers in recovery from alcohol dependence. Volunteers are often willing to work with professionals who refer patients. For contact information for your region, visit www.aa.org.
Other mutual help organizations that offer secular approaches, groups for women only, or support for family members can be found on the Rethinking Drinking Web site (http://rethinkingdrinking.niaaa.nih.gov/Help-links/) under “Information Resources.”
Use the space below for contact information for resources in your area (treatment centers, mutual support groups such as AA, local government services, the closest Veterans Affairs medical center, shelters, churches).__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________